Can I just say that travelling is one of the BEST things you can do for yourself. Getting out of the day-to-day grind, pushing yourself, adventures, mistakes, laughs, inspiration and fun.
I’ve just spend a little over a month staying in 11 Air B&B’s and traversing with my backpack and in ‘trains, planes and automobiles’ across 5 different countries. It was epic and I loved every minute of it.
On leaving each country I compiled a Top 10 list – not a serious… ‘Thou shalt go to the Vatican when in Rome…’ list, but a humorous bunch of day-to-day observations that ‘mostly’ made me laugh. Before I share each list with you feel free to visit my Instagram @Imageffect where there are some speccy stories highlighted under ‘Travel 1′ and Travel 2’.
Onwards with my top tens!
Italy Top 10
- Your Espresso rocks, especially when standing with a bunch of your compatriots at a marble counter for a shot.
- I am very good at massacring the pronunciation of your cities names. It sounds so much better when you say it!
- I love your countryside the best, take me back to the Cinque Terra!
- I don’t like your crazy driving.
- You are so ooooollllldddd and therefore like a good cheese you’ve matured and your history is incredible.
- I love your pesto Gnocci so much I ate four serves in a row.
- No day is complete without a gelato.
- You are a wine connoisseur.
- I love the freshly squeezed orange juice available at even the shittiest of delis.
- You are so friendly and make everyone feel like they’re dropping in to Mamas for a bowl of pasta!
Ireland Top 10
- Stereotypical Irish farmers actually do exist. But rather than puffing on a pipe they’re vaping! WTF?
- Tractors and sheep are part of the traffic. Horses are sometimes tethered on a square of city grass.
- Gumboots are a fashion statement, especially when wearing muddy trackie dacks.
- Sometimes it feels like fields are so green they’ve been spray painted.
- The best conversations are with the locals… the waiter or the old man sitting next to you in a cafe taking himself out for his Sunday lunch.
- You are proud of yourself and hold many rich and interesting stories.
- County Wicklow has been my favourite part of this trip.
- Your landscape evokes so many memories and feelings that must rest deep, deep in my DNA.
- One day I will hike your mountains.
- I wish I had more time with you.
London Top 10
- Men wear nice shoes.
- The only animals you’ll see are squirrels, fat pigeons and spoilt dogs.
- The Tube is awesome even if at first it feels like you’re trying to work out a foreign language.
- I love your ‘culture pockets’, your different boroughs and towns.
- I love that you dig vegans.
- Your gardens are delicious.
- Everywhere I look I romanticize and pretend I’m on a film set.
- I can’t stop imitating your accents.
- I love that every night I’ve walked from the station through an ancient graveyard back to our Air B&B with the locals.
- I look forward to visiting you again when you’re not raining on me.
France Top 10
- Ladies like to jog so they can all fit into their sexy leather pants. It’s a thing here. Voilà!
- I’ve eaten so much bread I resemble a baguette… skinny top and bottom, chubby in the middle.
- You don’t like vegans.
- You have a penchant for fluffy Pomeranians (this isn’t a complaint).
- I love your countryside.
- You are easy to get drunk with.
- I love your inspirarional creativity and your artistic history.
- Montmartre is my favorite part of Paris.
- I could listen to you speak all day.
- I feel so happy in your quaint villages riding a bike.
Thanks to those who followed along on my journey, looking forward to many more!